Tuesday, December 18, 2007

One afternoon on the couch


Million Voices -Wycleaf Jean
Soundtrack of Hotel Rwanda




Plopped myself down on the couch and flipped through channels.

Stopped at Hotel Rwanda.

I've heard a lot about this film, about how good it really is in portraying humanity, and ironically,the lack of it during the Rwandan genocide .

I was sobbing my eyes out, I mean really sobbing-wasn't sniffling, wasn't just tearing and i distinctly remember feeling as helpless as this when I caught Sometimes in April not too long ago. Yet many things have happened since then, and we forget; I forgot and now I remember.


The movie was a true portrayal of one man, Paul Rusesabagina (played by Don Cheadle) who sheltered over 1,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus in a Belgian-owned hotel, effectively protecting them from being brutally massacred.
He used his connections, his wit, quick thinking and most importantly, compassion to keep the flames of hope and life burning throughout those horrendous days.
This man had even at one point, decided to stay behind to save the hundreds of lives even when there was an opportunity for him to escape.
This man did not falter even when the world around him turned their backs on him, on the Rwandan people and on plain humanity.
And in the film, the UN soldier (portrayed by Nick Nolte) was based on a real UN peace keeper, Roméo Dallaire who was there to witness the atrocities, first hand.
Read their stories,
Remember Rwanda,
Never forget Darfur.

No comments: